21 June 2006

san francisco

Following our weekend wedding party on Block Island, RI, we headed out to Sonoma via San Francisco. After checking in to the W hotel, which Keel somehow talked them into 2 free nights in a king room on the high floor,

we cleaned up, had a drink at the W bar with my friend James,

and went out to a fabulous meal at Quince.

Now I've had a few good meals in my life, but this might have stole the #1 spot. With barely 15 tables they manage to make it feel quiet and private and I swore every person working there was waiting exclusively on us. Perfectly orchestrated service without interrupting. Impeccable demeanor and naturally, outstanding food. Wine too of course. Picking dining places for the honeymoon was at least fifty percent about the wine list. A hefty bill at Quince to be sure. You can spend $200 for two without trying. We won't make it to Qince again any time soon, or even San. Fran., but if I had to suggest a great dining experience, I'd say "get thee hence to quince".

As for wine, we started with a short bottle of Champagne and moved to an excellent Burgundy. Since we were headed to Sonoma, why drink anything other than the art of France? And it's pinot anyway, right? I can't remember the bottle, but it was a cheap one at around $65. The appetizers were incredible and the entrees impeccable. I'll try to remember what the actual orders were, but as the menu changes daily, I can't even look it up. I do remember that there were fava beans on almost every plate. Also, the cheese plate was divine. One reason the quality is so high is that there is an abundance of local and organic foods brought in by Michael Tusk. From organic produce to local fish to ethically raised and local beef. Much of it from Sonoma county. Just the kind of place I want to give all my money to, and did. Thank god for honeymoon gifts.

No comments: