12 November 2007

porter creek rrv pinot noir 2003

This is a vinyard specific Pinot Noir from the Fiona Hill vineyard (named for the owner's daughter) by Porter Creek. See this post for more on Porter Creek. I have a special place for RRV Pinot and Porter Creek is one of my favorite small unpretentious spots. I managed to bring back a couple of these bottles on our last visit and I'm holding out a little longer for the last bottle. That means of course it's time for a visit to Sonoma again. There are very few places where you can buy Porter Creek around here. Given that this bottle is 2003, I was pleased to find the slight age (2 years in my cellar - otherwise known as my basement) brought out some great subtle earthy notes that were not fully detectable in 2005.
















Color: Beginning to brown and yellow on the edges with a blood red heart.

Nose: The first flush is fresh and light smelling, moist like my basement, with blueberry juice covered by wet earth, mushroom, and a light spice over the cherry base.

Taste: The light body sort of skipped the middle of my palate, but it did develop more after a half hour open. The alcohol also came out strong at first, then softened. The standard Pinot cherry notes abound but also white pepper, excellent acidity and a joy in the mouth. Very good Pinot Noir though depending on whether you buy it at a winery or not you might find a better price than I paid.

Alcohol level: 13.9%

Price: $35

No comments: