20 January 2008

hendry zinfandel 2001


Hendry is a small estate that manages to produce quite a range of wines. However, the Block 28 Zinfandel is made from just over 4 acres, so you can imagine that this wine is not found everywhere. Only 1300 cases or so produced.

Taste: A peppery bite made itself noticed on the back of the palate though overall this wine is layered with red fruit, hints of strawberry and cherry. The tannins were round, with pronounced acidity. A little smoky and meaty with excellent legs. I expected it to taste more aged. In fact, I opened it because I wasn't sure if I had held on to this bottle too long. I've had it in my collection for nearly 5 years and I'm only beginning to have reliable wine storage. I originally bought it because my good friend Andrea fell in love with it and made me pick up a bottle. For some reason it made it's way towards the back of the wine cabinet. But this wine came through better than fine. It didn't taste as fresh as it might have a couple years earlier, but very pleasant and distinctive Zinfandel.

Robert Parker gave this vintage 90 points and had this to say when he tasted it in 2003: "Earthy aromatic profile includes a concoction of red and black fruits, animal fur, roasted herbs, and meat. The interesting, possibly controversial bouquet is followed by a big, deep, rich, full-bodied, seriously endowed Zinfandel that is loaded with glycerin, alcohol, and fruit. Drink it over the next 5-6 years. An outstanding wine of exceptional complexity and character."

Color: Full bodied burgundy red with just a bit of thinning on the edges, but no yellowing yet.

Nose: Subdued cherry notes and deep earth.

Alcohol: 15.1%

Price: $35

No comments: