28 February 2008

termes tinta de toro 2005


This is a wine from famed Jorge Ordonez (Numanthia) made from ungrafted thirty year-old Tinta de Toro (otherwise known as Tempranillo) grapes. This region of space somehow managed to avoid being hit by the great phylloxera wine plague, most likely because of the inhospitable sandy soils. I tried this as an experiment with a lower value wine from Numanthia. I can't say I fell in love. The taste, as you might expect from a region in Spain that is still catching up with modern winemaking, was, yes, a little different. The tannins were pronounced and bone dry. From the deep purple black licorice juice color and the significant tannins I'd say these grapes has some hefty time with their skins. The fruit was plummy with dark chocolate and black raspberry notes. I always like trying something new but this is one I'll won't return to soon. Even though this is not ever going to be a favorite wine of mine, it is certainly good for a surprise at a wine tasting party.

No comments: